Directions: Using word processing software to save and submit your work, please answer the following short answer questions. All responses to questions should be one to two paragraphs, composed of five to seven sentences, in length. Your responses should include examples from the reading assignments.
1. Compare and contrast the “revolutionary” cinemas of Cuba and Argentina.
2. What factors influenced the development of militant black African cinema in the 1960s and 1970s?
3. How did eastern European filmmakers react to the conditions imposed by Socialist Realist doctrineâ€”that is, to the idea that Soviet bloc artists were obliged to serve the objectives of the Communist Party?
4. How do the films of Rainer Werner Fassbinder exemplify, as suggested in the text, a general trend within contemporary European political cinema? Describe the two phases of his career.
5. How did Direct Cinema develop from the late 1960s onward?
6. In what ways have documentary films since the 1960s turned a critical eye on the documentary tradition itself? Identify and explain the formal strategies commonly pursued by filmmakers who have questioned the authority of documentary film’s truth claims.
7. What are the basic differences between “underground” film and Structural film? Which kinds of formal principles are explored in the most representative works of the Structuralist tendency?
8. What were the ideas and influences behind the emergence of the New Narrative and the punk (and punk-influenced) experimental film trends of the 1970s and 1980s?