Culturally Relevant Inspiration
A number of important resources supporting the design, development, implementation, and evaluation of culturally relevant instructional experiences are available online. Throughout this course, you have had many opportunities to view a number of such resources. This assignment encourages you to reflect on the key concepts presented in the course through the creation of a web-based tool that you can use in the future to support your teaching efforts. The goal is to showcase several model schools or programs representing what you have learned thus far regarding culturally relevant practices, creativity, and innovation. A plethora of options exists as you search for model schools or programs. While the K-12 public school setting may be on the forefront of your mind, remember there are a variety of learning environments available, such as charter and private schools, technical programs, post-secondary education and training programs, schools and programs pertaining to the military, and more. Therefore, expand your search efforts to gain a well-rounded perspective to share in your website. The resource you create can also be shared with colleagues (as well as the public in general) to advocate for implementing a more culturally-relevant instructional approach to professional practice.
A listing of good free tools you might choose to use as you develop your web-based tool (website) is presented in the Instructor Guidance. Each tool includes its own collection of help files and tutorials to support your creative endeavor.
Review the Week Four Instructor Guidance for detailed assistance about preparing for completing this assignment. Next, construct your assignment to meet the content and written communication expectations below.
- Website Content (8 points): Create a website that includes each of the following items:
- At least three schools and/or programs
- Details for each school or program presented on individual pages
- A link to the school or program
- Embedded or linked videos or photos
- A summary of why the school or program is innovative and/or unique
- The location and general demographic information about the students
- An analysis of the 21st century skills supported by the school or program
- Descriptions of how the learning experiences reflect culturally relevant pedagogy
- Description of how the school and/or program promotes creativity in the classroom
- Description of how the school and/or program encourages teachers to be more creative in their approach to teaching
- Reference page
- Website Appearance (.5 points): The website is well organized, formatted with high-contrast colors, and includes a logical navigation structure among pages.
Written Communication Expectations
- APA Formatting (.5 points): Format any references used according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
- Syntax and Mechanics (.5 points): Display meticulous comprehension and organization of syntax and mechanics, such as spelling and grammar.
- Source Requirement (.5 points): Reference three sources to provide compelling evidence to support ideas. All sources on the references page in the website need to be used and cited correctly within the body of the website.